Monday, September 29, 2008

Pirates, Dragons, and Other Exciting Road Adventures



Randall and I are making plans to head to Oriental, NC in a couple of weeks. Oriental is part of the setting of my current WIP, The Pirate Queen. I haven’t seen cover artwork yet, but know the good folks in the WBP art department are going to have an interesting artistic interpretation for my story about an Outer Banks heroine, Saphora, who finds treasure and love in the most unusual places.

I love researching the Outer Banks. While the sailing research is different from the historical nautical language used in my Australian series, it adds such great color to the story. Also, the town artists perpetuate a myth about the local mythical dragon that has chosen Oriental for its natural nesting grounds.

I’ll post some other blogs from Oriental too. Today’s featured blog is The Dinghy Dock. You can journey through the wealth of posts about the animals, fowl, plants, boats, and even some Oriental history.

We’ll make landfall around the time of the annual Mum Fest right around the corner from Oriental in historic New Bern. Mum Fest is an event that draws over 80,000 visitors to this Outer Banks event centered around, well, mums, of course! A haven for a gardener like me with plenty of seaside places to visit and new sojourners to meet along the way.

I’ll keep you posted on the progress of The Pirate Queen. Thanks for all of the feedback and book club inquiries regarding Painted Dresses. The word is spreading and its due to reader friends and fellow bloggers spreading the word about this southern tale of two sisters taking a road trip through the south delivering a trunkload of painted dresses.