Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lonely Planet

In the U.S., we are surrounded by 301 million people, folks living side-by-side in narrow two-story houses on small squares of property, or stacked one on top of another in condominiums or apartments. We crowd into airports, onto buses and trains, merging like ants onto interstates, in continual contact with other people, yet staring ahead,averting our eyes.

When a person lives isolated from human contact it’s called cocooning. As a reformed cocoonee, I remember the longing for connection, but once I had folded up and died relationally, it was like beating my way out of a prison.

We were created to live in community and in active life-giving groups that touch others and bring them into community. Jesus started with twelve and then each of them began bringing others into the circle of life.

I look back at how lonely the planet once was for me and now, I have to say, community is a lovely dwelling place.

Ephesians 4:11-16