Thursday, March 8, 2007

Respect for the Sound Country


I’m poring over books and websites today. It’s out of respect for the sound country, the setting for Painted Dresses. I was reared with a respect for natural life. For kicks, my family would take day trips out into the woods where my mother would dig up wild African violets to bring home and plant. I was taught the snakes to tease and the ones to avoid. My sister and I swung from tree vines and caught toads and tadpoles. Nature was my nurturer.

Today I’m paying attention to the size of Longleaf Pines and the season of the Pitcher Plant in the Sound Country. There are small details that go into a story that either tell the truth about the landscape or ignore it. In a few weeks, I’m going back to the Sound Country with my notebook and camera. I want to be certain I get it right.